Monday, November 18, 2013

preserved pears...

WOW!!!! Never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would get a response such as the one that I did from my last post... Thank you all so very much! Your gorgeous and kind words have given me a much needed burst of life and a renewed love for my poor ol' blog... I do enjoy writing my posts and now that I know people are actually out there reading it and willing to comment I feel so much better... I am slowly, but surely, getting around to replying to each and every comment - I've loved reading them so once again - thank you very, very much!!! 

You know that big box of Orchard Fresh Pears that I was gifted back here??? Well, last week I turned them into the most amazing preserved goodness    E V E R ! ! !
pears 1 
After the gorgeous Jane from Shady Baker emailed me a simple yet delicious recipe for poached pears I got to thinking..... This would be amazing if I could bottle it!!??
pears 2 
So.... I cored, pealed, and chopped/sliced about 5kg's of pears, made a light sugar syrup, added some of my favourite spice (cinnamon quills), put it all together in a big pot, boiled it, bottled it, then popped it in a water bath for approx 1/2 an hour...
pears 3 
Then, after a day in the fridge they emerged as the most perfectly, sweet, crunchy, succulent pear segments. I think I can safely say they are the best I have ever tasted!
pears 4 
We've been eating them straight from the fridge on their own, with fresh egg custard as a dessert, drizzled over creamy vanilla ice-cream - just because, and on my favourite breaky cakes too!
pears 5 
But, you know who loves them most of all??? My littlest guy, Tobie! And for me that's a win-win, right!!!
pears 6
So..... Have you preserved anything this week??

note : : if you'd like my preserved pear recipe simply send an email to jellywares@bigpond.com and I'd be more than happy to share it with you... :)

23 comments:

  1. Awesome Jodie, great idea! These look so good x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane!!!! After trying your gorgeous poached pears I couldn't resist... :)

      Delete
  2. Oh yum. Stewed pears and custard is favourite of mine. Pears never last very long here but I may have to try this if I can get some cheap at the farmers markets next time.
    Kate xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stewed pears and custard is a fav of mine too Kate... :)

      Thanks for popping by... xx

      Delete
  3. Wow, Tobie looks so different in these photos!! I almost thought you were using a different model for these pictures!! I'm such a sap - I'm still pureeing my stewed pears and apple for Alex an he's almost 17 months old!!! I love the idea of preserved pears with egg custard and on fresh muffins! So glad you wrote your previous post and you got the overwhelming response that you did. Now, get blogging .... and blogging .... and blogging!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love puréeing my apples and pears too Christine but lately Tobie has liked eating foods that he can 'hold-on-to'!

      Thanks for popping by... :)

      Delete
  4. I've got some OK pears that aren't very exciting to eat, so maybe this is the answer. Will have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do Annie - it is simple yet super delicious!!!

      Thanks for taking the time to leave me a comment... :)

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Thanks Kristina - I hope you enjoy the recipe... :)
      Would love to hear from you if you get the chance to make it..

      Delete
  6. I will have to buy my pears, but I will email you for the recipe. Hugs, Linda@Wetcreek Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome!!! Can't wait for you to try the recipe... :)

      Delete
  7. Those look really yummy! Our pear season is over here in the states, so would have to buy some to make preserves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Wendy... Maybe you could give it a try next pear picking season... :)

      Delete
  8. I love pears and those look so good! Your little man is sure enjoying them! He is adorable! I have a grandson who is 19 months old. They are so wonderful at that age! Darlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Darlene and you're so right, little people at this age are simply wonderful - a time to be treasured for sure..

      Thanks for popping by and taking the time to leave me a comment... :)

      Delete
  9. This week I am making strawberry jam and green mango chutney and then when I get to it something with tomatoes, either relish or jam. Those pears do look good.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum - you are preserving up a storm at your place this week 'CountryMouse'... I look forward to seeing what you make with your tomatoes. I'm desperate for some fruit to ripen on my vines as I'm all out of tomato relish and can't wait to make some more..

    Thanks for popping by... xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look great! If my pear trees actually bear fruit this year (last year they all mysteriously disappeared) I'll certainly have to give this a go!

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...