Monday, November 4, 2013

Garden Share Collective : : November

I'm joining in with 'The Garden Share Collective' this month - for the first time, ever....

Although it feels as though I have a lot going on in my vegetable patch(es) at the moment when I write it all down in lists of 'planting' and 'harvesting' it doesn't seem to be that much going on at all, really...

I guess I'm actually watching quite a few things this month and come next month I'm hoping the magic will really happen and I'll be harvesting my beautiful bounty...

Watching
Cucumber
Radish
Corn
Lettuce
Beetroot
Tomatoes
Beans
Grapes
Passion-fruit
Coloured Chard
Carrots
Zuchinni
Propagated Grape Vines
nov garden 1 
nov garden 3
Harvesting
Lettuce
The last of our Peas in the Pod and Snow Peas
Beetroot
Rocket
Sage for drying (and cooking fresh)
Numerous Fresh Herbs
nov garden 2
Planting
Climbing Beans
Radish
Lettuce
More Basil
Parsley
More Tomatoes
More Zuchinni
Capsicum
Chilli
Olive Trees
Propagated Grape Vines
garden 3
To-Do
Make more Mulch
Collect Sheep/Cow/Horse poop from the yards and paddocks
Apply Sea-Weed Fertilizer every 10 days
Transplant Tomato seedlings
Transplant Beetroot seedlings
Make Tee-Pee's for my Tomato plants


Things to Note
- my Radish and Zuchinni seedlings did not respond to replanting very well this past month and I lost half of them. I've planted more directly into garden beds and they are doing great.
- baking soda and washing liquid diluted in water makes an awesome pest/bug spray for Cucumber and Zuchinni plants!
- Rattle Snake Beans only took 4 days to germinate.
- we have had NO RAIN this month!!!

Seed Swapping
I currently have oodles of 'Peas in the Pod' seeds to share - saved from 2012 and 2013.
I am looking for some squash seeds to plant in my garden this month
Email me at jellywares@bigpond.com if you'd like some pea seeds - or if you have some squash seeds that you'd like to share with me.

Be sure to check out more fantastic gardens here....

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie, I have some spaghetti squash if you'd like to swap. I'll email you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Littlem!!! I have never grown 'spaghetti squash' and would love to swap with you... :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Jodie,
    your garden looks great. Looks like you're dealing with the same kind of red dirt that we have to tend with in the Pilbara. Pleased to see your garden is going so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!! We sure are - red dirt everywhere... :)
      So far the temps are only reaching the high 30's so my garden is coming along nicely - come January it's a different story though and I find myself watering more frequently and reaching for any shade to protect valuable plants.

      Thanks for popping by...

      Delete
  3. Awesome! What a great garden! I love hearing and reading about it although our season is just ending. I need to write a garden journal next year...I keep saying that but never do it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sam!!! I started a garden journal this year and LOVE IT!!! Totally make it your 'new years' resolution to start one, you won't regret it... :)

      Thanks for popping by...

      Delete
  4. Jodie, your soil is incredible, my folks live on similar red soils and I love when walking around the red dirt seems to stain your skin. For the conditions and no rain that you had to survive through this past month your garden is looking pretty darn good. What do you use for water - bore, dam tank? Thanks for joining in and I look forward to coming back each month to visit your garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lizzie!!! You're right - the red dirt sure does stain your skin, and everything else too... :)

      I have 2 huge dams that feed to the homestead just for the garden. I have 11 x 22,500 litre rainwater tanks in total on the buildings surrounding the homestead - hanger, workshop, shearing shed etc. These supply us with fresh rain water to shower and drink etc...

      Thanks for popping by and an ever bigger THANKS for organising this gorgeous garden sharing collective... xx

      Delete
  5. Welcome to the Collective! I think you've got plenty going on here - looking forward to next month's progress :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Is that a sage bush? Wow!!! Love looking at gardens and things sprouting and growing up. Definitely good therapy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure is!!! :) I don't know how it happened, it was a simple plant that I totally neglect and then one day it just grew and grew and grew and now it's a full blown bush - I love it!!!

      Thanks for popping by Jeanie... :)

      Delete
  7. Welcome to the Collective. I am happy to have discovered your site, I think I will like visiting here, it is lovely :-)
    Great tip on the baking soda with washing liquid. Have a great month, I look forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kyrstie!!
      The baking soda and washing liquid has work a treat for me here - make sure it's really diluted though, 20:1...

      Thanks for popping by... :)

      Delete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...