Monday, November 11, 2013

a recipe : : breaky cakes

We are  B I G  breakfast eaters in my home with 5 out of 7 mornings usually consisting of a cooked one - poached eggs, omelette's, bacon and fried eggs, scrambled eggs and home-made baked beans... You get the picture... 

But, every now and then the girls and I like something a little on the sweet side and that's where these super quick and easy 'Breaky Cakes' work a treat... 
cakes 1 
This morning we enjoyed (from left to right) pear, muesli, and banana in our breaky cakes... The pear and muesli I simply spoon on top but the mushy banana I like to mash up and mix through.
cakes 2 
For the pear cakes I simply peal and chop 1 pear and place a good couple of tablespoons of the fruit on top of my base mixture before baking.
cakes 3 
For the muesli cakes I practically do the same, spoon a good couple of tablespoons on top before baking - you could even have both fruit and muesli on the 1 cake, I like to keep them separate as I have one girl who loves pear and 1 girl who just loves muesli....
cakes 4 
Yum-o, look at that gorgeous muesli!! Fresh from the oven these are the perfect breaky treat! 
This muesli was a gift from the gorgeous Jane - my bag is almost empty Jane and let me tell you, it has been the most amazing Muesli I've tasted, sweet and chewy and crunchy and simply delicious all at the same time - thank you so very much... xx
cakes 5
If you'd like to try some of these Breaky Cake's at your place, here's the recipe.....


BREAKY CAKES

ingredients : : 125g melted butter. 1 1/2 cups of plain flour. 3/4 cups of sugar (any will do; white, brown, raw, etc). 2 Tablespoons of honey or maple syrup. 2 Tablespoons of milk. 2 eggs. Fresh fruit, dried fruit or muesli.

method : : combine melted butter, sugar, milk, honey (or maple syrup), eggs, and flour in a bowl and mix to combine well (if you are making banana cakes stir through 2 mashed bananas now!).

Spoon mixture evenly into a greased 18 hole muffin tin. Pick out a flavour you'd like, pear, apple, sultana, cranberry, apricot, peach, nectarine, muesli, etc. Spoon a couple of tablespoons of your 'flavour' on top and bake at 180'C for approx 15mins - all ovens are different but your cakes should be a lovely golden colour when cooked.   

Serve hot from the oven with a pot of fresh tea!!


Are you big breakfast eaters in your home? What's your favourite thing to eat for breaky? 

7 comments:

  1. Hi Jodie. Those breaky cakes look delicious! although, I am a bacon and tomato girl with a few eggs. Love a good scrambled egg too. Love the pic of a little hand doing a quick grab! Jane x

    ReplyDelete
  2. They all look delicious!
    I like to put some raisins, wallnuts or nuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yum! I'm going to give those ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I'm a toast girl, I just can't stomach cereal. I look forward to my peanut butter toast in the morning :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These sound and look yummy! I love a cooked breakfast on weekends but tend to go for savoury more than sweet but these would be lovely as a mid-morning pick me up - I like the idea of fresh pear!

    Cheers - Joolz xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look really good Jodie, another one to try I think! Everything is better with a pot of tea isn't it? Fresh eggs feature regularly at our place for breakfast as well as muesli, toast, yoghurt, beans and sometimes bacon. It is one of my favourite meals of the days...and for me Vegemite is absolutely compulsory :) I hope you got my pear recipe?

    Have a lovely week x

    ReplyDelete
  7. We love breakfast here, usually weetbix or homemade granola, toast and fruit and yoghurt during the week and pancakes on Saturday and bacon and eggs on Sunday. With our girls laying a bit more regularly we are having more fresh eggs and nothing beats the perfect poached egg.
    I'm going to be trying these little cakes out for sure, my boys would love cake for breakfast.

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...