Monday, July 30, 2012

Homemade Cordial....

We were gifted 2 big 20kg bags full of citrus fruit from the neighbours about a week ago so we've been cooking, juicing and eating some of the most delicious Mandarins and Lemons I've ever tasted - thank you Hanson Family!!!!

One of my favourite things to make with fresh citrus juice is Cordial... 
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
We've made lemon cordial, mandarin cordial and even a lemon mandarin cordial combo (my fav!!!)...
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
To make my version of 'Cordial' I start with a sugar syrup. To make a basic sugar syrup I bring 1 cup of water to the boil then add 1 cup of sugar - stir until all of the sugar is dissolved (about 2 mins).
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
While my water is boiling for the sugar syrup I start juicing up approx 15 pieces of citrus fruit...
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
I then add the hot sugar syrup to my juice, gradually tasting as I go until I'm happy with the sweetness (sometimes I use all of the syrup and sometimes I don't - depends on the fruit)...
OLYMPUS DIGITAL CAMERA
15 pieces of fruit mixed with desired amount of sugar syrup will usually fill up a 600ml sauce bottle... I mix the cordial up at a rate of 1 part cordial to 4 parts water... I find this Cordial lasts really well for approx 2 weeks in the fridge (it doesn't last any longer then that in my house - we drink it all)...

Because I love this Cordial in the heat of Summer the best I've juiced and frozen enough citrus fruit to make about 5 litres of Cordial - all I'll have to do is make my sugar syrup when our thirst for Citrus Cordial hits in Summer...

Do you make home-made Cordial??? What's your fav recipe?? 

8 comments:

  1. Beautiful colour in your cordial Jodie...and how cute are your girls? I made lime cordial not too long ago and experimented with a lime and chilli cordial, both worked fairly well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made cordial before but my oldest loves to make lemonade if we have a glut of lemons. My Mum and Dad just gave us a lot of lemons and I was wondering what to do with some of them, now I know, thank you. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty much how I make my cordial too. I don't bother with citric acid or any other additives except a little mint or basil sometimes.
    Favourite flavour here is lime. Very refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an inspiration! I've saved your recipe for the next time a bag of fruit is delivered from a friend or neighbours tree. What a treat that cordial will be. Thank you Jodie.

    Thanks too for my lovely wool order and the sweet buttons. The apricot colour is so sweet. They will be making an appearance on the blog soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It must be cordial making time, I was gifted a bag of bush lemons and made 2L last night. It doesn't last long around here either.
    I use this recipe- http://zaranne-handmade.blogspot.com.au/2011/07/favourites-friday-recipe.html

    x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahh...thank you Jodie! I have just been gifted a large bag of both mandarines and lemons and I was wondering what I would do with them all! I did not think of cordial...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I do! Orange or lemon are my favourites, but I made up a yummy batch of blackcurrant a few months ago and it was delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jodie, your orange drink recipe sound great. My recipe i use is quite simple and tastes good. If you would like it just email me and i will send it. sue~nz

    ReplyDelete

Spring Seed Swap?

I had big plans of sharing a late Winter garden update with you all this post, full of beautiful pictures of Wintry produce such as peas (...